EDITORIAL NOTEBOOK

Swiping right on romance

Convenient app simplifies the dating process

Allow me to be frank; I have 1,500 Tinder matches. Therein lie 1,500 potential romances, or at least 1,500 people who were ambivalent enough to swipe right on me when my picture came up on their smart phone. I would be lying if I said there wasn’t something validating about the fact that a population roughly the size of my high school took time out of their day to scroll through my Facebook photos. But at the same time, I can’t help but wonder what consequence my Tinder following can possibly bear.

Tinder is an app that markets itself as a dating service, allowing users to scroll through profiles of other people on the service in hopes of creating matches. The app allows users to streamline the dating process by quickly determining who they find physically attractive or interesting based on their profile. Users swipe right on a profile if they are interested, or left if they’d prefer not to match with that user. In today’s age of instant gratification, the app serves as a salient reminder of the revolution of modern dating.

The service provided by Tinder caters directly to the one-night-stand mentality that has become notably prevalent on college campuses. With the dawn of hookup culture, the app appeals directly on the initial physical attraction that drives angry 20-somethings to make decisions they regret within the space of 24 hours. It’s like speed dating, with the added security of hiding behind your cell phone screen and a lack of required eye contact.

It’s irrefutable that I’ve fallen victim to the app’s simplicity and self-awareness; the fact that I’ve spent enough time to have swiped through 1,500 profiles is testament to just that. But what intrigues me is the scope of the app—my sphere of influence has become large enough to start a large militia, or rig a medium-sized local election. The power that Tinder has given me is downright intoxicating, and I revel in it. I have created a following substantial enough to make an actual difference, all due to that carnal initial chemistry.

As much as I hate to admit it, I genuinely think that such a vain piece of code has made a notable impact on my life. I met my last boyfriend through Tinder; as embarrassing as that is to admit, I’m thankful that an app allowed me to meet someone who I wouldn’t have ever been introduced to otherwise. I’ll be the first to say that dating apps are a last resort for people who can’t find romantic prospects elsewhere, but at the same time they facilitate communication in a way that is undeniably convenient.

Tinder has provided many college students with the convenience of on-demand romance, and the simplicity of the app has created a user base as diverse as it is sexually frustrated. The modern age has presented millennials with the opportunity to expand their horizons beyond physical constraints, and it makes sense that dating would follow suit. Tinder has allowed people to be introduced in a way that is quick, easy, and inescapably satisfying.