DERBY

Get involved today

Activities exist for everyone who seeks

’Sup RPI?

First of all, I would like to apologize for my lack of a Derby this summer. I was in an unfortunate accident that left me hospitalized and unable to make the deadline. I’m happy to say that I am back on my feet and running full speed, and don’t plan on missing any Derbies anytime soon. The Greeks say “perastika” which means “may you put it behind you,” and it’s the attitude I have taken toward the situation. If for any reason you had tried to contact me and I was unresponsive, please feel free to reach out to me again.

I hope that you all had excellent summers, and have come back to the new semester with fresh minds. Within this week, you’ll start with classes, homework, and all that comes with it. And with that, it is also an incredibly busy time for the Rensselaer Union! Be sure to check out Meet the Greeks in the McNeil Room on Wednesday from 6 pm–9 pm, and the Activities Fair from 6:30 pm–8:30 pm on Thursday in the Armory. Both are excellent ways to learn more about campus and to try something new, no matter what your class year may be! With over 200 clubs attending, and more starting up all the time there is surely something for everyone.

I would like to take a moment to welcome out new Vice President of Student Life, Dr. Frank Ross. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Ross quite a few times thus far, and can say with confidence, he is looking forward to working with us to improve the student experience. I would also like to welcome Ines Roman ’16 as the newest addition to the Executive Board. Roman will be serving as the Class of 2016 representative as well as the chair of the Union Programming Board. There are still up to four seats that can be filled on the Executive Board, with one being a Class of 2019 representive, so freshmen should keep their eyes open for the fast approaching elections. I will be sure to send out more information as the time approaches, but in the meantime, get involved! I’m sure you’ve heard this phrase more times than you can count, but it is advice that can truly change your college career for the better.

E-Board meetings will be every Thursday at 8 pm in the Shelnutt Gallery RU 3602, and are open to everyone. If you’re interested in seeing how the E-Board operates, or would like to bring an issue to our attention, feel free to stop by! We’re also looking to make the first meeting of every month an E-Board potluck, so if you’d like to come, bring your favorite dish or snack food to share.

For this semester, I plan to have office hours Tuesdays and Fridays from 10-11am (I’ll try to have snacks). I’ll also be starting up Pub Chats once again Mondays at 8 pm and Wednesdays at 9 pm. Come celebrate the Clubhouse Pub, turning 25 this year, and have some friendly conversation (21+ only). If for any reason you can’t make these hours, or would like to personally speak with me, please email me at pu@rpi.edu and I’ll be sure to set something up.