Alumni return for jam-packed weekend

RPI welcomes returning alumni; current and past students attend alumni activities

G. REID WISEMAN SPEAKS via the International Space Station to alumni and students about the ISS and RPI.

October 9–12 was Rensselaer Reunion and Homecoming. Many events were held to celebrate alumni coming back to campus. Class years ending in 4 or 9 were celebrated with various dinners and receptions. Special events included the 50 Year Club Captain J.P. Dinner Cruise on the Hudson, Rensselaer in Space: Live from the International Space Station with G. Reid Wiseman ’97, The Auto Show Presented by Rensselaer Motorsport, President’s State of the Institute Address, the 5K Alumni Challenge, FanFest, “Oh, What a Night” Band Party, An Evening of A Capella with Voice Play, and more.

Other events were held to encourage networking between alumni. Many clubs, Greek life organizations, and other groups held receptions, dinners, and other events so alumni could see what their former organizations were up to as well as a chance to network between alumni and current students. Lacrosse and baseball had alumni games, while the RPI Players had a work party. Class photos for classes ending in 4 or 9 were taken in the East Campus Athletic Village Main Gymnasium throughout Saturday. The Hirsch Observatory had an open house, too.

I am in the position of being a quasi-alumnus; my class year is 2014 but I elected to stay on for an extra semester to recieve a co-terminal degree. I attended several events as an alumnus and enjoyed seeing friends who I hadn’t seen since Commencement. Several of my friends spent Friday night with me; on Saturday, I went to FanFest with several others. We caught up with each other’s lives and had fun reminiscing about all the silly things we’d done a couple years ago. FanFest itself had lots of food, games, and music.

Besides FanFest, I went to the football game, the Class of 2014 Gathering, and the “Oh, What a Night” Band Party on Saturday. The football game was disappointing. It was the first football game I had attended at RPI. RPI had a few good plays, but lost. The Class of 2014 Gathering, which was at Bomber’s Burrito Bar, on the other hand, was good; I ran into several friends whom I hadn’t seen in a while. The cost to attend was $10, but there was free food and one free drink per person, so it was definitely worth it. The band party was free. Most of the attendees were older, and the music definitely catered to an age group older than the typical college student, but I still had fun. There was a raffle and another game where you picked up a piece of chocolate, and depending on what was on the bottom of the wrapper, you got a prize. I got a free t-shirt, though the only size available seemed to be extra-large.

All in all, Reunion and Homecoming was a fun weekend of catching up with friends and attending great events. I can’t wait until my five-year reunion in 2019, and I especially can’t wait until I get to see my friends who have graduated again!