Myq Kaplan uses blue humor to good effect

Comedian’s performance evokes

On Friday, April 19, I went to see a comedy show featuring Myq Kaplan, a professional comedian from Comedy Central. I’d never gone to see a comedian in person, but having seen one on television (and the internet) before, I had hope for the show. Granted, I’d never seen a performance by Kaplan, so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. Luckily, I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest.

Kaplan’s style of humor, while not exactly atypical, was the type that I tend to enjoy in a comedian. He went with a dry, monotone voice for his delivery, which worked well with his humor. As for his arsenal of jokes, he went with some of the standards: self-deprecation, personal experience, and a running gag (i.e. he returned to things he’d said previously at (in)opportune times). However, he went above and beyond with his utter lack of political correctness. Don’t get me wrong—just about every comedian uses off-color jokes; Kaplan just went further. And it was great. I like to see that from comedians. I browse the internet. I frequent Reddit. If a comedian expects to make me laugh, he has to not restrict himself with something as lame as political correctness.

Early in his performance, Kaplan described himself as a vegan Jew who was often mistaken for being gay. When it came to the part about being gay, he described a time during which his friend—who actually was gay—was messed with because of his sexual orientation. He went on to say, essentially, that the “bullying” didn’t work. Or, rather, “you can’t fight flaming with flaming.”

Kaplan also explained why he believed that time travel hasn’t happened yet, or at least that a Jewish person hadn’t managed time travel as of yet. He discussed how time travel might work, as well as the fact that if a Jew had achieved time travel, he or she would have gone back in time to kill Hitler. Kaplan then speculated that, perhaps, time travel had the rules described in Terminator, meaning that clothes couldn’t pass through time. If this were the case, and Jews had somehow managed to go back in time, Hitler would have had to deal with naked Jews assaulting him throughout his life. In that situation, “his actions might be a little bit more understandable,” Kaplan added.

Another bit Kaplan did was about when he worked at a convenience store. He explained that every time he worked, a man would come in asking for a ham and cheese croissant, regardless of the fact that the store had never offered one. Eventually, though, the store started offering them, and Kaplan couldn’t help but hope that the man was from the future (going back to the time travel bit) when the store sold such food.

Kaplan also said that he didn’t want to have children—at least, not his own. He’d be fine with adopted children, but he wouldn’t want to have to deal with the idea that something he’d made himself would go out into the world. When he mentioned that others tended to judge him for just wanting to adopt, he went on a tangent, eventually using some lovely and colorful language to describe his views of what children are. I originally had the quote in this article, but my editor deemed it too edgy and removed it from the paper.

So, I’m not sure if I did Kaplan’s show justice, but take my word for it—the man’s a great comedian, and if you have the chance to watch his show (for free, like I did, or even otherwise), don’t miss the opportunity.