Peace and calm encouraged

It’s that time of year again, everyone. The time of year where everything is in full swing and we are all so busy we don’t have time to breathe, let alone take a break and put things into perspective. But, I implore you, take a few minutes to relax and look at the leaves changing colors around you. Most of you are, what, in your late teens, early twenties, and have maybe two years left till you graduate, on average.

If you look at it this way, you are this close to being relocated to another place to begin your entrance into that real/job world. You are going to, again, leave all the new friends you have made at school to another strange place and start anew. I don’t know about you, but it is a big deal for me to pack up and move cross-country to attend school.

What I am trying to say is, take the time right now to appreciate the friends you have around you, take some time and spend a couple of hours to relax with them, play some games, or even just enjoy a movie together and goof off while you still have them around. I realized recently that I have been getting more and more distant from my friends with all the school work and apartment-type chores I have to do. It’s actually pretty hard to hang out with them when you don’t live close together in a dorm anymore. But it is well worth the effort to make time to hang out with friends; I don’t want to become a recluse or a hermit and only concentrate on school work.

Another thing to consider: this is your youth! Document it anyway you can: write in a journal or blog, take pictures, make a Tumblr. However you want to document it, just make it so you will have a way to look back to your college life when you are older. You only live once and there are no redos, so take as many pictures as you can to remember the fun times you have now. I myself am guilty of not taking pictures of my youth, no matter how much my parents begged me to. I hated taking pictures, but now I regret not having done so because I now realize how precious those pictures can be. Don’t be like me. Go out there to enjoy your life, but be sure to take pictures!

While you take the time to relax, hang out with friends, take a break from studying, and take fun, crazy pictures to laugh at in the future, also take the time to give your parents a call. You are away studying at college; you know what you are doing and what is going on every day−your parents don’t. They want to know what is going on in your life, but they won’t have a way of knowing unless you tell them personally or someone else does.

Take the time to also call home once in a while; I’m sure your parents will appreciate it. Even a quick 10 minute conversation to say, “Hi, what’s up?” is better than not calling. Do this when you need a study break or something; it’ll give you something to do while you relax your brain, and it can keep you up to date on what is going on back home.

So, I implore you, take the time to look at the leaves changing color on the trees around campus, take a break, call home, and spend time with your friends while you still can before you split off into the job world.