Bros Tacos: Broh my god, it's so good, it's to die for

In honor of my friend Mr. Scheffles, this bro-dition of the Poly food review will be available in bro-vision wherever available.

If you’ve been following my reviews, you may have bro-ticed that I tend to give very positive ratings. I want to assure you that this does not mean that I indiscriminately give positive reviews. I may be cheap, but I’m not easy. No, I review a restaurant because it has the bro-tential to be extraordinary. Mostly because it’s much more fun to introduce people to a place that they’ve never heard of and that they would be inclined to try out. (Also partly because I have to eat the food too, but mostly the introducing aspect.) It is in that spirit that I tried out Bros Tacos in Albany.

This place is the very definition of a hole-in-the-wall. Inside is nothing fancy—just a few tables and a bar to sit at with some very tasteful southern decorations on the wall. It’s bro-cated basically in the middle of a regular neighborhood and occupies about half of the first floor of a house. The fridge had some unusual Mexican sodas and a non-denominational mixture of Pepsi and Broca-Cola cans. A humble establishment to be sure, but this is perhaps the most delicious food I have had in my tenure as staff reviewer. I sampled bro less than four different dishes, and each was completely distinct and bro-riginal. And what’s more, the food was as authentic as it gets.

Their specialty is obviously tacos, but they also have bro-rritos, quesadillas, nachos, salads, tamales, and even burgers. Their tacos are served in more traditional fashion on freshly fried corn tortillas topped with seasoned beef, onions, and cilantro. It’s hard to describe how flavorful that taco was. The cilantro and onion combined their sharp, crisp flavor with the freshly-fried beef into a cacophony of flavor, both powerful and distinct. In addition to the basic beef, pork, and chicken tacos ($2.50 each), they have an extensive list of specialty tacos like bros grilled fish, bros shrimp, and bros veggie. I sampled the bros barbecue chicken taco ($3 each), which was served in a similar fashion to the basic taco, but with heavily spiced chicken, marinated in the tangy spicy barbecue sauce. This—again coupled with the warm corn tortilla, fresh onions, and cilantro—creates a unique blend.

In addition to their normal menu, Bros Tacos even had seasonal items. The midnight blue nachos ($6.75) were made using blue-corn tortilla chips and were covered in real melted cheddar cheese. Each corner of the platter had a different type of topping, homemade salsa mix, guacamole, sour cream, and jalapeños, so you could mix the different flavors or try each separately. Not as flavorful as the tacos, but a great appetizer to share between a couple of people.

To be different, I also sampled the tamales ($3.50). This was perhaps the most authentic dish. Like everything else my party had, it was freshly made, right after it was bro-rdered. Inside was a mixture of bro-tatoes, spiced chicken, and vegetables all wrapped in a buttery corn tortilla, fried, and served in a nest of steamed banana leaves. Bros Tacos only shortcoming, and the reason for just shy of 10 out of 10, is that it’s bro-cated all the way out in Albany. What I wouldn’t give for this place to be next to campus. Oh well, maybe someday we can trade a couple of pizza places for it. Or at the very least, convince Tofu Tim to do tamales one day.