FIXX leaves editor out in the cold

A few weeks ago on January 30, I was just chilling with one of my girlfriends in her dorm room. It was late Saturday night and we were switching between the chick flick Singles and the Miss America pageant. Laughing over something mundane, I turned to answer my cell phone. It was my roommate. She called to tell me that the lower panel of our room window had shattered. I wasn’t supposed to get too worked up; she had already informed our Resident Assistant, and had FIXX insulate the window with a giant piece of styrofoam and duct tape.

Since there was nothing more I could do, I returned to the TV and nail polish to finish my girls’ night. When I returned home later in the evening, I inspected the window and asked my roommate when FIXX would come and repair it. They told her Monday.

Three Mondays have passed since then. After about a week and a half of FIXX being a no show, my roommate decided it was appropriate to call them and see what was up. They barked at her: “You’re on our list; we’ll get to it when we get to it.” Such nice and understanding customer service—we were only wondering why we didn’t get an e-mail or phone call letting us know that you could not in fact come on Monday. Up front you shouldn’t promise to get the job done in a few days if you can’t keep a timely commitment.

What bothers me even more than the appointment issue is how blind the Institute can be. For the last three weeks it has rained and snowed, and at times the wind has howled with rage of a woman scorned. It isn’t very efficient or cost-effective to have a gaping hole in the side of a building in the dead of winter. I can only imagine what the heating bill has been for our room. There are times when the thermostat has been turned up to 90 because the room feels like 20. That poor little machine has been working around the clock.

And don’t even get me started on the health problems this could potentially create. I am sure that the parents of RPI students would love to hear how the school is giving their children pneumonia. I was already aware that the safety of students was not a priority to RPI after talking to a freshman who burned herself on an exposed pipe in the girls’ bathroom in the basement of Sage, and now I am convinced.

I personally know of three windows in my wing alone that are broken, so I know that I am not the only one experiencing these problems. With a mix of old windows and freezing temperatures this number is sure to increase. I am starting to foresee a pileup that will only put more pressure on FIXX; it is beneficial to everyone for FIXX to get on top of this. After all, it’s their job.