Derby

E-Board approves Union room upgrades

Hello, RPI! Sadly, this past weekend marked the end of the regular season home games for our hockey team. However, it was great to see so many students come out for the Whiteout! and Military Appreciation Night. The final game of the home season against Clarkson was also very well attended as the seniors played in their last home game and heatedly fought one of our biggest rivals.

This week was also very exciting from an Executive Board perspective. At the beginning of this academic year, the Board was looking into making technological upgrades to a few of the rooms in the Rensselaer Union. At the time the overall costs for these upgrades seemed too high and the Board sent the proposal to the Business Operations Committee to investigate. At last week’s meeting, the Executive Board approved a revised version of the original proposal, which includes a variety of upgrades to some commonly used rooms. Both Union Room 3202 and Shelnutt Gallery will receive a permanently installed projector and projector screen, a wall mounted input panel for VGA, HDMI, S-Video, Composite video, Component video, and audio, along with speakers and a touch control panel. In Union Room 3602 the set up will be very different as it is frequently used by our gaming clubs and admissions. Thanks to a donation made by the Class of 2012 and our own organization, the Rensselaer Science Fiction Society, we were able to make significant upgrades to this room. Along the sides of the room, there will be four 47” LG LED TVs in addition to the upgrades that are being installed for Union Room 3202 and Shelnutt Gallery. This allows more flexibility in the purposes and uses for the room. Finally, the Patroon Room will be receiving a 60” LG LED TV, which should make displaying presentations and videos easier than in the current arrangement. Overall, these upgrades should increase the utility of our rooms to clubs and organizations for a variety of purposes, and I look forward to seeing them installed. If you have any questions or thoughts on the matter, feel free to reach out to me.

As we are rapidly approaching Spring Break, I would like to take a moment to remind everyone that Grand Marshal Week and campaigning are almost here. If you, or anyone you know, have thought about the position of President of the Union, then I would suggest that you talk to me about it. I would be happy to discuss running for my current position with any candidate as I am not only currently the PU, but I also ran for the position twice. Being President of the Union has been both a very rewarding and very difficult position to hold, and I would like to offer my advice and insight to anyone interested. I am typically in my office most of the week, and can almost definitely be found there on Mondays and Tuesdays. You can also send me an email to set up a formal time to discuss your interest. I would like to see this year’s race contested and exciting, so please reach out to me.

Finally, if you would like more clarification about anything Union-related, or if you have any questions please feel free to contact me at pu@rpi.edu. Have a fantastic week!