Pitch Perfect rises above expectations of corniness

Do you love catchy music that will never leave your head? Amusing comedy that is a little twisted? Are you interested in a chick flick that really isn’t a chick flick? Then Pitch Perfect is the movie for you!

You would assume that this movie would be about sappy romance, covers of songs gone wrong and a predictable plot line. And yes, this movie did have these things. But it also had laugh out loud funny jokes that offend a great number of people, great acting, singing that is pretty spectacular, and songs that will never leave your head, no matter how hard you try.

Pitch Perfect is about a girl named Becca in her first year of college. She wants to go to Los Angeles to pursue a DJ-ing career, but her father makes her go to college instead. While there, she has trouble finding her place because she always pushes people away. She refuses to join clubs, participate, etcetra. However, with some prompting from a girl named Chloe, played by Brittany Snow, in a hilarious shower scene, Becca joins the Bellas, an a cappella group that, during the previous year at nationals, had an accident involving projectile vomiting that went viral on the internet. The entire story is about Becca’s first year and how, in the end, she ends up making friends in a place she never expected—the Bellas, who seemed like a typical group of misfits.

Yes, I realize that this sounds extremely corny. A group of misfits come together and turn into something grand. The journey of one girl from loner to accepted star. But in reality, what movie today isn’t corny? Every plot has been done before in some form, really. But what Pitch Perfect brought to the table was great acting, a fresh twist in music, and hilarious jokes.

Some of my favorite acting was done by Skylar Astin, whose voice captivated me; Anna Kendrick, who did a great job on her first major lead role in a film and has an amazing voice, surprisingly; and Ben Platt, who is just plain adorable in his role of the magic-obsessed nerd who prevails in the end. But, there were two actresses who I thought were fantastic. The first was Rebel Wilson, who is also known for her role in Bridesmaids. Wilson played Fat Amy, and whenever she talked, I just couldn’t stop laughing. From “horizontal running” to herpes jokes, she is just a fantastic comedian. My other favorite actress wasn’t the most important character, but she is the one that stuck out the most to me. Hanna Mae Lee played Lilly, who was, hands down, the best character in the entire movie. She was the quiet girl whom no one could hear, except the audience. It’s hard to explain, but the best way to put it is that no one in the movie could hear her half the time, but everyone watching it could. Some of my favorite quotes from her would be, “I ate my twin in the womb” and “I enjoy setting things on fire.” She is a major source of the movie’s hilarity and does a fantastic job.

The music itself is amazing as well. A cappella means that no instruments are used. And, while it’s obvious that some auto-tuning is used, the majority of the actors’ and actresses’ real voices are used. After the movie, I looked for songs by Kendrick for example, and her live voice sounds almost exactly as it does in the movie. The bottom line is that this movie is filled with a talented cast who create remixes and collaborations from famous songs like “Since You’ve Been Gone” and “Just the Way You Are.”

You know a movie is great when you walk out of the theater in a great mood, singing the songs, still laughing at the jokes, and with your face hurting from smiling so much. While many guys would walk of the theaters saying that they hated it, in reality they really loved it. They just don’t want to admit they liked a chick flick. It’s funny, catchy, and entertaining. I would definitely recommend Pitch Perfect.