DERBY

E-Board meeting closed due to contract

President of the Union explains that closed E-Board meeting was an outlier

RPI!

First things first, I hope you all had a chance to come out and support your fellow students this past weekend at the 39th annual Freakout! This year’s free gift was a pair of mittens, courtesy of the Rensselaer Union, and they have definitely come in handy as the weather takes a turn for the colder. Although a pair or two may have accidentally made their way into a Clarkson sousaphone, they went like wildfire, so we hope you enjoy them. Although it’s always tough to take a loss, especially in a game like this, I would like to thank the men’s hockey team for playing their hearts out and putting up a great fight. I would also like to thank all my fellow RPI hockey fans for helping me lose my voice both Friday and Saturday this weekend.

This past week’s Executive Board meeting was not our normal procedure, as we had to close the majority of the meeting to the public due to the nature of the business that came before us. Although it’s not something anyone on the E-Board particularly enjoys—because letting the public know everything we do is something we strive for—it is a necessary undertaking at times. In this case, some of our proposals contained information that must be kept confidential in order to align with legal guidelines and contract terms. But fear not! As soon as possible, information that is deemed shareable will be released to students and the media in a prompt and professional manner. This upcoming week, we will be hearing from two new clubs seeking recognition, a few seeking funding, and hopefully a nearly complete Union Annual Report!

For those that may not know, the UAR is a document that contains the recommendation for the Activity Fee from the E-Board as well as an in depth breakdown of where every penny goes. This year’s UAR will actually be presented in three different forms. The first will be the traditional report that includes great detail and a cover letter from myself that covers the highlights. This will include historical data such as club subsidies and returns, as well as the approved budgets for the upcoming fiscal year. The second form will be one that consists mostly of infographics and easy-to-understand representations of the data. This will help provide information at a glance, and help the average student get the general information they need. The third form will be that of a brochure that will be handed out during functions such as the Activity Fair to better explain to students where their money goes and how it is utilized in a simple and palatable format.

You have a right as an Activity Fee-paying student to know exactly where your money goes, and you have a right to voice how you think it should be spent. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, I urge you to reach out to me directly at pu@rpi.edu. I’m always happy to set up a meeting, answer questions, or even just talk. If you would like to come to something a bit more regular, I host office hours on Mondays and Thursdays from noon–1 pm, and I’ll be bringing back “PU-b” Chats on Wednesdays from 6 pm–7 pm in the Clubhouse Pub.

See you soon!