EDITOR’S CORNER

Leaving with big shoes to fill

I’m nearing the end of my term on The Poly this semester and graduating at the end of next. Honestly, I’m a little scared of leaving this place and saying goodbye to all my friends. Sitting at home in peace makes me feel introspective and think about all the places I’ve been, all the things I’ve done over the past few years, all of the people’s lives that have influenced me and vice versa. I’m not the same. I’m not.

Through those sleepless nights and countless, dragging hours, I’ve learned the true meaning of persistence. By pushing myself to my limits, I’m a better writer, manager, and the most meaningful to me, socializer. Five hundred words in an hour? No problem; you can bet your bottom dollar that it’ll flow smooth like a John Coltrane jazz solo, no staccato. Layout problem? No worries; show me the situation and we can work through it together. It’s hard to imagine that at one point, I was pulling teeth writing my college essay and organizing clubs in high school. I think that it’s because I’m now comfortable with who I am and more experienced. By becoming the best person I imagine I can be, I’m closer to this idea of self-realization, which gives me confidence in all my interactions.

However, now that this chapter of college comfort and familiarity is coming to a close, the working world seems daunting. It’s not due to amount of work I might be doing or the location; it’s the routine environment. I’m not sure I want to work a humdrum 9-5 job Mondays through Fridays with an older crowd of people I don’t really know. Right now, I have The Poly, my fraternity, and karate to keep me going; every day is different. Everyone I interact with is around my age, and everyone is at RPI to receive a diploma. As I stated in a previous notebook, these unifying themes do not exist after college. Everyone just…goes about their lives separately. But since I see this and know that this happens, I will try my hardest to be as real and personable as possible with all of you that know me.

So while I’m still here, I’d like to take this time to thank alumni that made my vital, freshman year moments so special. Ben Pringle, thanks for bringing me to the newspaper and FIJI; you were the most positive influence in my life that year. T.J. Lipscomb, Spencer Posson, Lizzy Wroe, Michael Chu, Ethan Spitz, Justin Jones, Vicki Lam, James Lenze—the entire editorial board that year—if there’s anyone I missed, I’m sorry; thanks for making that year of Poly land a blast. Harish Lall, I can’t count the number of times I crashed on your futon spring semester. I’ll never forget that.

To the current and future editorial board, take care of The Poly. She’s a resilient ship, but needs maintenance from time to time. I wish you guys enough ads and a closing at 12:30 am. You all know that I’m always an email or text away. I will always be willing to help. Cee-lo said it best. I owe too much and know too much to let it rest.