EDITORIAL NOTEBOOK

Be the best you can be

I’m a bit of a romantic at heart; if you’ve read my other notebooks, you already know. However, what you don’t know is that, I’ve been through my fair share of relationships. Now, I have a couple of friends that are going through relationship problems and some that are having trouble finding their “one.” I’m not a relationship guru, but I do have some reasonable points that should be followed if you’re looking for someone else in your life.

Before you even consider adding someone to your already complex life, do some introspection. A good relationship needs a strong foundation. Without a firm base, being the two people in the relationship, the whole house will fall apart. Think about it. Am I confident in myself and all that I do? Am I comfortable most in a high energy setting, like a party, or more laid back with just some close friends? You should be your own person and realize what your limits are. Then, test yourself and push those limits. Be open to feedback, but don’t be swayed by everyone’s whim. Stand for yourself, but help others when in need. What I’m trying to say is, above all, be the best person that you can be.

The one building block that is the most important of all is hygiene. It’s an unspoken quality. No one will tell you your breath smells or that you smell like a gorilla to your face. People are too polite for that. Also, that’s being rude to gorillas. Lucky me, as a child, my breath always smelled like stuff that usually goes in a porcelain bowl. So, my father always told me to brush my teeth. Imagine how much nose pinching I saved people as a kid; your mom’s not going to be there to tell you to shower for your first date.

On the same note as physical characteristics, exercise is a significant part of attraction and one of relationship’s founding blocks. I’m not saying that you need to get swole or become a marathon runner, but you should physically exert yourself doing something on a regular basis. Exercise makes you look fit; however that’s not the only reason why you should be doing it. Running, sports, lifting, almost anything, instills discipline and confidence in your constant mental thought process. It’s a subtle, yet powerful influence, as it releases positive endorphins that make you feel better and healthier as a person. It will even give you that slight boost of confidence to go talk to that attractive person over there.

Oh? Now you’re talking to that attractive person? What do you talk about? Well, here’s something that’ll help you start conversations: do activities that you think are interesting. You should always be willing to try new things. It’ll help you become a more interesting person, and if the activity is part of a club or organization, it’ll help you build social skills. It’s something to talk about. Just put all you’ve got behind whatever you’re interested in and your passion will outwardly show through the way you speak and your nonverbal gestures.

I’m just brushing the surface on how to be a better you. Keep yourself clean and exercise regularly. Remember, I’m not saying you have to be a super social butterfly extrovert. Just don’t be afraid to talk to people. Join something that you’ll get the most out of and don’t stay in your room all night. Though it’s nice to stay in and watch a few TV shows, you’re not going to meet your future significant other if you do that every day. Trust me, if I didn’t go to Commons Dining Hall that day with some friends, I never would have met Isabel Johnson, who is the Yogi to my Boo Boo.