Top Hat

Grand Marshal dons zombie makeup

ECAV After Dark a success; Carletta encourages students to attend women’s hockey games

Hello, RPI! I hope everyone had an enjoyable long weekend. I know I had a great time attending a couple of RPI events. This Friday, I went to the zombie-themed RPI After Dark at East Campus Athletic Village. ZCAV, as it was aptly called, was a really great event that had incredible makeup artists come over to ECAV to make students look like the undead. The opportunity was too good to pass up, so I immediately got in line to get my face looking like a zombie. The level of detail in the faces that were done was incredible, and I had a blast walking around campus with my zombie face and custom top hat to match. All students could also get their pictures taken in front of a green screen to strike classic zombie poses, which led to some great—and not so great—pictures of me. In addition to many other events that night, there was one massive game of Humans vs. Zombies all over the athletic village, which had students carrying some heavy Nerf gun firepower to play the game.

ECAV After Dark was an incredibly fun event that leads to an even bigger one this coming Thursday. On October 17, Max Brooks, author of World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide, is coming to the Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center to give a talk about the dangers of a zombie apocalypse, and the steps we all must take in order to protect ourselves. The book World War Z was recently made into a blockbuster movie of the same name starring Brad Pitt. Tickets for this event are free and can be picked up in the Rensselaer Union Administration office on the third floor. Don’t miss this unique chance to hear from the zombie apocalypse expert, and get your tickets as soon as possible.

On Friday, I also went to the RPI women’s hockey game against 7th ranked Boston University. The lead during the game went back and forth for three periods eventually leading to a 2-2 tie. The game was incredibly intense, especially in the final minutes of play, and I encourage more students to attend women’s hockey home games in the future so that you can get in on the hockey action.

Finally, I hope everyone is ready for the upcoming Family Weekend. It begins October 18 and concludes the afternoon of Sunday, October 20 with the Grand Marshal/President of the Union Brunch. Family Weekend is really nice because it gives our family a chance to meet our friends, see how the school is doing, and learn more about our day-to-day happenings on campus. Parents can go on tours, listen to professors and deans, see a movie provided by UPAC Cinema, or much more on the long list of other fun and engaging activities. To learn more about Family Weekend and the programs that are happening, look on the RPI Student Experience website where they have the full details. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me at gm@rpi.edu.