Top Hat

GM invites students to prep for career fair

Carletta himself prepares for career fair, congratulates four new Student Senators

This Friday and Saturday is the 35th Annual Career Fair hosted by the National Society of Black Engineers and the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers. If you want an internship or full time job offer this year, make sure to take advantage of the numerous opportunities around campus, which will allow you to prepare for the career fair. I, along with most other students, continue to get e-mails everyday about different companies visiting and the information sessions they are providing for interested students. Definitely go to these as it is a great chance to really learn what the company stands for and the opportunities that they may have for you. In addition, visit the Center for Career and Professional Development this week if you have the time. I just visited their Resumania event to have my resume critiqued by employers and counselors on site. I got a lot of good feedback on what to include and take out in my resume, and I feel much more confident now with how I present myself in it. Resumania will be happening this week from September 19 through September 26 between 1-3 pm. The sooner you get there the better as the line can get quite long because of the career fair’s proximity.

It’ll be strange going to the career fair this year because I will be looking for a full-time job offer. Time seems to be going by very quickly as I remember making my first resume freshmen year. While I had very little on it and my job experience was next to nothing, I still benefited by going to the career fair as I got more comfortable with being interviewed and giving my 60-second sell. I also got a broader exposure to the job market as I had no idea who many of the companies were at the time. The experience gave me the chance to research them and be more familiar with them for the upcoming years. All freshmen should attend the career fair, even if it’s just for a small amount of time. Remember to dress well, have physical copies of your resume along with a digital copy, and be confident. You never know who may be interested in offering you a job!

This weekend, I went to the After Dark Series hosted in the Armory and I had a fantastic time. There was so much to do between the basketball and soccer tournaments, pick up table tennis, dodgeball, and Zumba. David McDevitt-Pimbley ’14 did a great job putting everything together!

Also congratulations to Joseph Venusto ’17, Paul Ilori ’17, Melanie Todis ’17, and Jessica Krajewski ’17 on being newly elected to the Student Senate. All of you will have a great time with these positions and have lots of opportunity to make student life that much better. I look forward to working with all of you in the upcoming school year. As always, if you have any questions please e-mail me.