Top Hat

Grand Marshal attends Relay for Life

Carletta also presides over Undergrad Council election; 2015 senator elected

Hey everyone, I hope you all are having a good week so far. Last weekend was very busy for me with Relay for Life, the election of the Undergraduate Council President, and the Greek Awards Ceremony.

Last Friday, I attended the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life event held in the Armory from 6 pm Friday to 6 am Saturday. The main purpose of this event is to raise money through donations to be invested into the research of every type of cancer and to provide free information to cancer patients and their caregivers. I always enjoy this event at RPI because there are so many clubs and organizations united for a common cause. One of my favorite moments of the event is the Luminaria ceremony. In this ceremony, thousands of paper bags, illuminated from the inside by an electronic candle, outline the perimeter of the track inside the Armory. These bags are lit to honor loved ones who have passed from, are fighting, or are survivors of cancer. I just want to say thank you to the RPI Relay for Life committee for doing such a fantastic job. You worked so hard to make this event special and I, as well as many RPI students, faculty, and staff, really appreciate all you have done.

Last Saturday, after Relay for Life, I also presided over the election of the Undergraduate Council President. The Undergraduate Council is a collective body composed of all four undergraduate class councils. Its purpose is to guide the councils and represent the undergraduate body in areas not specifically handled by the Student Senate or the Executive Board. The Union Constitution requires the Grand Marshal to supervise the election of the UC President within two weeks of the spring election. In order to have a valid election, two-thirds of the newly elected class representatives and vice presidents of each of the class councils had to be present. Congratulations to Kyle Keraga, Class of 2015 senator, who was elected by a unanimous vote.

My final event of an exhausting Saturday was the Order of Omega and The Office of the Greek Life Commons 21st Annual Greek Awards Ceremony. The purpose of this event was to celebrate and recognize the achievements of the Rensselaer Greek Community. Award categories at this event included professional development, community participation, fire safety, leadership, and many others. Congratulations to Phi Gamma Delta and Alpha Phi for being named Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Chapters of the Year respectively.

Have a great rest of the week, and good luck on your last round of exams or finals that are on the horizon. If you have any questions, e-mail me at gm@rpi.edu.