Editorial Notebook

Editor will no longer be Ed/Op

Remember how I said I wanted to run for managing editor? So do I. I hate to say it, but I lied. In short, I have many too many things on my plate to make it work, inluding the election to numerous new positions in my fraternity, Zeta Psi. (Yes, that was a shameless plug. Rush Zetes.)

Next semester, I am to serve as delta (chapter historian), rush chair, pledgemaster, IT chair, steward, and chef. As if that wasn’t enough, I am in the middle of creating an entire rush plan and reworking our pledging process. So, in short, even though the positions begin in the fall, I am already working on things.

But The Polytechnic will always have a place in my heart and my schedule. Although I will not be physically at the elections on Saturday—see the little box on the bottom of page 5 for more details—I am running for Sports editor. This allows me to tailor my workload for the time that I have, and, hopefully, I will be able to muster interest to write athletics articles.

If you haven’t noticed, the sports sections in many of this year’s issues have been but rather bland, with few to no articles written by Poly staff. Fortunately, with agreements between The Poly and RPI Athletics, we are able to pull content from them, in an effort to have at least something resembling a sports section. During hockey season, we almost always had photos, but I believe this is due to the fact that photographers often jump at the chance to go to 1) a D1 sport, and 2) a free event that others have to pay for. Hopefully, I—and the rest of the staff here—can entice a good number of rising freshman to join The Poly and focus on the sports section, amongst others.

So next year’s work is cut out for me. Under my name in notebooks like this will be, hopefully, “Sports Editor,” and I will be slightly higher in the staff box over on the left. I’m sure that when Ed/Op needs a substitute editor, I will step in, but for the most part, I will be absent from here.

Don’t get me wrong: I’ve loved being Ed/Op editor. I’ve gotten to discuss all sorts of topics with all sorts of people. I’ve gotten to get upset at people for missing deadlines and forgetting to turn articles in—which, unfortunately, is why I’m writing this notebook in the first place. Lastly, I’ve gotten to see first-hand the effects of various campus policies and incidents, as Top Hat and Derby are written by two of the most visible students on campus, and Letters to the Editor and My Views always contain insightful topics and viewpoints.

It’s been a privilage to serve as your Ed/Op editor. As it says below, we’d love to hear your opinion, and heck, join The Poly!