Top Hat

Dai: Look forward to GM Week and more

Welcome back to school; I guess the Mayans were wrong. I hope the long, five-week break was enough for everyone to relax and get ready for a new semester here at RPI.

The first thing I would like to say is on the safety of our off-campus community. If you haven’t heard, there have been a couple of crimes in Troy. This should be common sense, but I would like to remind everyone to be safe. When you are walking at night, try to not walk alone, and always try to keep your doors locked when possible. Chances are, now that students are back on campus, the crime incidents will go down, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

To change the subject to something more positive, the men’s hockey team beat both Cornell University and Colgate University this past weekend, putting two more conference wins under our belt. The next game that is being played is against Union College at the Times Union Center! This is included in the season ticket package. The Red Army is currently looking into buses for students from RPI to the Times Union Center, and students that attend will receive a free gift (while they last). I don’t want to spoil the surprise, but it’s pretty awesome.

The Student Senate did not meet this past Monday due to the holidays, but the start of the spring semester always reminds student government about the best week on campus—GM Week! The GM Week Committee is chaired this year by Will Schmitt ’13 (schmiw5@rpi.edu). The committee are looking to bring back some old traditions, and with the help of weR and other groups, create some new ones as well. If you are interested in helping with their great ideas, please e-mail Schmitt because they are always open to having more people help them. Who knows, you might be the one that ends up bringing the beer trucks back during GM Week 2013!

This semester, the goals for the Senate include some projects that I believe have the opportunity to add some great value to the school. First is the Clustered Learning, Advocacy, and Support for Students peer mentor program that the Student Life Committee is working on with Vice President for Student Life Timothy Sams’s advisory committee. This project looks to connect upperclassmen with first-year students to help them transition during, and even before, their first year at Rensselaer.

Another project that we are looking at relates faculty and student through non-academic programs. Events such as quiz bowls, sports, and even trivia at the pub are ways that the Senate believes would be great for professors and students to interact with each other outside of the classroom. If you have an idea that might promote faculty-student relations outside of the classroom, please e-mail me at gm@rpi.edu.

I hope everyone had a great break; I’m eager to start the second half of the year, and to our last semester seniors: “D is for done.” (Just kidding.)