Brony reflects on magical show

So, yeah, since an obligatory first notebook is out of the question (for various reasons I’ll choose to leave out—use your imagination), I’ll take a stance on an issue in which I represent a minority: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Yep. I’m a brony (or, at the very least, a fan of the show), and, honestly, I’m proud of it.

Believe it or not, the show is actually incredibly well scripted. Of course, even with a great script, a show can’t truly come alive unless the actors (or, in this case, voice actors) deliver. With MLP:FiM, they do. Heck, they make the characters come alive.

Dear Princess Celestia, Twilight Sparkle is the “leader” of the group and a stickler for the rules. Sometimes, though, she goes a bit insane. It’s entertaining. The facial expressions, particularly. She also uses magic. Which is cool, by the way.

Rarity is the drama queen. Her vanity is absolute. But, she’s also the epitome of fabulous. Personally, I feel that she’s one of the more interesting characters. Then again, she’d probably consider this notebook the worst possible thing.

Rainbow Dash is the tomboyish pony. She can be ridiculously lazy when she wants to be, floating on clouds. On the other hand, she can be rather hyperactive, especially when tasked with something that involves some form of mayhem. She’s also my favorite because she makes everything about 20 percent cooler.

Pinkie Pie is ridiculously hyper. It’s slightly scary at points. At the same time, she reminds me of one of my best friends, so it’s an odd combination. I did, though, learn how to decorate from her. More balloons! No, that’s too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!

Applejack is the last of the main pack. She’s a down-to-earth kind of pony. Granted, she’s a rather stereotypical representation of a country girl and/or farmer (Yee-haw!). Even though she reminds me of people I know, I’d have to say she’s my least favorite; her character gets rather stale.

Oh, wait, there’s another one. Sorry. Fluttershy is, as the name suggests, an intensely shy pony. But, when the chips are down, she’s probably one of the best to have around. I mean, she scolded a freaking dragon. That’s pretty intense.

There are other characters, such as Spike, Big Macintosh (Ee-yup), and Derpy (whose name was officially dubbed as such after widespread usage by bronies). But, their personalities aren’t as well developed, so they’re not as cool. Usually.

It’s also fantastic that Lauren Faust is so responsive to the brony population. As the head of other shows like The Powerpuff Girls or Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends, she’s known for including tidbits of comedy that young children simply won’t understand. With MLP, she’s taken it a step further. Much of the show is entertaining to a child but completely and utterly hilarious to a college student. It’s just one of those things, I guess.

Now, I understand completely if you honestly don’t care about the show. The show’s a cartoon, so it’s natural that some people just won’t find it interesting. It’s not for everyone, and that’s perfectly fine. However, it’s not cool to immediately lump every brony with the sketchy ones that haunt the darker parts of the internet. Yes, there are some on the fringe that have questionable reasons for enjoying the show, but the rest of us enjoy it as a well-made form of entertainment. The script is excellent, the acting is fantastic, and the animations are just icing on the cake. I’m not saying you have to like the show. I’m just suggesting you don’t simply dismiss it as a show for little girls. There’s a reason the brony population is growing. And, just remember: Friendship is Magic.