Weekend full of fun: Chi Phi Live, basketball

I was at the final football game of the regular season on Saturday (congrats RPI Engineers on the 13-10 win!) and I noticed something. Besides the athletes on the field or the spectators in the stands, RPI students are at a lot of other places. The game was filmed by RPI TV, the student-run television station; it was broadcast on 91.5 FM by the student commentators for WRPI, the campus radio station; the RPI cheerleaders were on the sidelines, along with the students in RPI Ambulance. Even many of the game day staff and athletics support were student volunteers. It certainly is a great thing to see that everybody comes together to make a day successful, even if it is a little rainy.

It was a busy week last week; the Student Senate had its semesterly meeting with the president and her cabinet, and reviewed the Student Life Performance Plan Review with the Student Life portfolio. I judged the Greek Lip Sync (Congrats Sigma Chi) and moderated the debate between the student political organizations (I won’t declare a winner). On Friday, members of the Student Sustainability Task Force and the Student Senate traveled with Vice President for Student Life Eddie Ade Knowles to Pace University to attend the D4D Conference in conjunction with Project Pericles.

This week has plenty of its own events. Members of student government are attending a StuGov Formal sponsored by the Undergraduate Council on Friday, which is a busy day in and of itself. Chi Phi Live and the first men’s basketball game at the East Campus Arena will certainly start the weekend off well. I know there are so many events happening on and around campus, so make sure you take a peek at the What’s Happening section of The Poly as well as the Concerto screens around campus (or online at http://concerto.rpi.edu/) for plenty of information.

I can’t believe we’re nearly to the end of the semester (considering the volume of final projects, I really don’t want to believe it). Student Senators will be reflecting on their progress so far with me and the vice-chair as we look at the progress made this semester. We hope to culminate the semester with a few announcements (stay tuned!) and keep up the pace through the spring.

As always, you can let me know what you think of the progress the Student Senate or I have been doing. The Student Government Suite on the third floor of the Rensselaer Union is a good place to look for us. You can always drop me a line at http://twitter.com/rpigm/ or e-mail me at gm@rpi.edu. I always enjoy hearing from the students I represent as well as the alumni or RPI community members that read The Poly. So stop by or drop me a line; be seeing you.