Student finds new passion in print

If anyone had asked me a year ago if I planned to be writing for a school paper when I got to college, I would have laughed in his face, turned back to typing a paper for English, and cursed my teacher for an assignment that I left until the night before it was due. As acceptance letters rolled in, I took solace in the fact that I would be going to a tech school, and as a result, would have to do a minimal amount of writing. However, as last year passed, I learned a lot more about writing than I had in any year before that. I had my own style of writing before this, sure, but I never had the ability to articulate exactly what it was I was trying to say.

After school ended, I was finally able to relax, and enjoy my first summer in a long time that didn’t have writing assignments due come the start of the new school year. However, as the summer passed, I started doing something I never imagined: writing. Almost every day of the summer I wrote, whether it was some terrible short story, or a bunch of random sentences about what was going through my head at the moment I had Word open. I soon discovered that over my senior year I had grown to really enjoy writing, and it wasn’t something that I wanted to just quit doing.

When I got my paperwork to make requests for NRB week, the first thing that caught my eye the Poly Press Pass. I knew that if I wanted a way to continue writing when I got to RPI, I would have to look somewhere outside of the classroom, as RPI—or any tech school for that matter—isn’t well known for writing courses. I honestly didn’t know what to expect from the event, but I was thrown right into the process, sent out into the field to report on what was happening during NRB. I even got a cool little notepad which made me feel more professional than I should have.

I am very glad that I’ve been able to find a way to keep writing while at RPI. I have always secretly wanted to be a game critic, to be specific, and I was quite excited to be able to write reviews for The Poly. Writing has also become the best way to get a break from the onslaught of equations, homework, and tests that we all face every day—well, besides taking a nap of course.