Miller scores game winning goal in overtime

RPI REFUSED to settle for a second tie over the weekend when they scored during overtime on Saturday. (file photo)

The Rensselaer Engineers headed to Potsdam, New York for a 7 pm game last Friday night against Clarkson University. Coming off of a sweep against Union College last weekend, RPI skated out ready to play. They started the game off right with junior Riley Bourbonnais taking the first faceoff and sophomore Mike Prapavessis taking the first shot of the game. After about seven minutes of intense play, senior Travis Fulton put up a goal assisted by freshman Meirs Moore. A minor penalty for each team later, the period ended with the Engineers’ goal having gone unanswered.

Only five minutes into the second period, junior Jake Wood scored another goal for Rensselaer assisted by Bourbonnais and junior Parker Reno. Just a few minutes later, Clarkson’s Brett Gervais answered RPI’s goal and made the score 2-1, having put one by senior goalie Jason Kasdorf. The teams battled it out for the rest of the period with the score remaining at a standstill. Tensions heightened, leading to Riley Bourbonnais receiving a roughing penalty in the last second of the period.

Late in the third period, Clarkson scored again, tying the game up. Freshman goalie Cam Hackett had just been put into the game only to be scored on before he even had enough time to warm up. The game stayed tied for the rest of the regulation and through over time. Clarkson dominated the game’s faceoffs, winning two-thirds of the 66 and putting 38 shots on net to the Engineers’ 27.

On Saturday, RPI played the St. Lawrence Saints in Canton, New York. After the previous night’s heartbreaking tie, the Engineers needed a win. The game did not start the way they wanted; the game stayed at a hard fought 0-0 until the last minute of play in the first period when the Saints scored on Hackett. This was the Saints’ only goal of the period despite their three power play opportunities.

The Engineers went into the second period hungrier for the win than before and scored a goal in both the 13th and 14th minutes of play. The goals were put up by sophomores Jared Wilson and Drew Melanson respectively. It wasn’t more than a few minutes before the score was tied up by the Saints at two apiece. At this point in the game, the RPI goalie, Hackett, had seen twice as many shots as the Saints’ goalie, but managed to keep the score even.

The Saints scored another in the early third period giving themselves a one point lead and stepping up the intensity of the game. The Engineers were able to rally and Bourbonnais scored 13 minutes into the third period assisted by Prapavessis.

Just like the night before, the game went into overtime. After a weekend of travel, the Engineers would not stand for bringing home two overtime ties or a loss; they brought home a win thanks to the game winning goal by senior Mark Miller assisted by Melanson and Reno. Congratulations to Hackett on his first full Engineers’ game played and won. Rensselaer’s next game is this Friday at 7 pm against Yale and is the Class of 2018 Hockey Night.