Coach speaks: exclusive interview with the legend

In his first media appearance in decades, Coach tells all about his amazing success throughout the years

COACH REFUSED to allow us to print his face for all to see, however we convinced him to show off his distinctive silhouette which incites fear in any opponent.

On Saturday, March 29, I was given the once in a life time opportunity to interview the legendary, one and only, world renown, Coach. This coach has earned so many awards that they speak for themselves. He has won so many games and lost so few that his record speaks wonder towards his coaching ability. For any of you who have been living under a rock and don’t know who he is, Coach is the preeminent role model, and one of the most respected human beings of RPI athletics. Coach has been at RPI for many years and in his tenure he has made many playoff tournaments. When I first sat down with Coach, I was blown away by his professional demeanor and confidence.

My first question for Coach was about his overall philosophy, and how he, in particular, goes about coaching, which has brought him great results. He had this to say: “Well, really I just want to make sure that we get the greatest amount of points in a game and well, the least amount of penalties.” Personally, I was blown away by this response. I have interviewed countless coaches, but no one could live up to the philosophy that Coach had stated.

I went on to inquire more about Coach’s team this year and what he thought about his team in comparison with other seasons. He said “Well, I think the fact that they can score a lot of points and not get a lot of penalties is really working in their favor.” In my expert opinion, having covered this sport for many years, I can truly say this year’s team is special. If the team continues to follow the wise words of Coach, then it will be difficult for them to do anything else but win this season.

Having knowledge of previous seasons, I then asked, “This year you have a record and last year you had a record. Do you think you will have a more successful season than in the past?” Coach went on to emphasize, “We have been scoring more points and that’s because they are getting the thing in the place to get points. I think that it’s really working to our favor and that is really all I could ask for.” All I could say in response was “wow.”

I concluded this historic interview asking Coach, “Where do you see this RPI sport going?” He said “I think we can do better. Right now we are Division III and going Division I is a real possibility. We should be competing with teams like University of Phoenix, University of New Hampshire, and ITT Technical Institute. I don’t know if we are there yet but, we are getting there. All we have to do is make the D bigger, you know, make the D bigger.”

I would just like to conclude that Coach is one of the most inspirational people I have ever met. He will go down in history as one of the most inspirational characters to ever have worked at RPI. With Coach leading the team, I can conclude that Coach will be able to lead his team to at least another 27 championships in the next year.