Derby

Sileo thanks Max Brooks for returning to RPI

Family weekend awards: Founders Award for Excellence winners, Rensselaer Medalists congratulated

Hello, RPI! This past weekend was full of fun, as many Family Weekend activities were hosted all over campus. I hope many of you were able to attend these well-planned events. I would like to congratulate the Office of the Student Experience for planning such a wonderful weekend. Special thanks go out to Louis Trzepacz and Shanté Brown who were the co-chairs for this event. I hope that, after this weekend, they were both able to get some much deserved sleep!

Parents were greeted this weekend in the welcome lobby of the Rensselaer Union by our staff and staff from the Office of the Student Experience. The shirts for family weekend this year were very well designed, and I saw more than a few families wearing their new gear. Many families stopped by the well-played football game, and even more came out to support our men’s hockey team as they very handily defeated Sacred Heart University.

Our bookstore, which is the Union’s single largest source of income outside of the activity fee, also had a fantastic weekend. When I went to visit, there were at least a hundred people in the bookstore all looking to add to their collection of RPI paraphernalia. If you haven’t had a chance to stop by this year, you should make a point to do so. There have been many additions to their selection, and their women’s clothing has increased significantly. You never know what you may find!

I would also like to take a moment to congratulate all of those who received awards at the honors convocation this weekend. The ceremony began by recognizing President Shirley Ann Jackson on her most recent achievements. Many professors were also recognized for their hard work and dedication to the school. Congratulations to those freshmen who received the Rensselaer Medal in high school for demonstrating exceptional skill in mathematics and science. This ceremony also honored the few students who have managed to maintain a 4.0 cumulative GPA during their time here as well as the recipients of the Founder’s Award for Excellence. Those who received the Founder’s Award have exhibited strong academic performance, outstanding leadership skills, and above all, pride in Rensselaer. Congratulations to all on these outstanding achievements!

Finally, I would like to thank Max Brooks for coming to RPI this past Thursday. Not only was he friendly and down-to-earth, but Max Brooks was also very funny. His lecture on how to best survive a zombie attack was phenomenal, and I am glad that he was willing to return to RPI for his third lecture. Each time Max has presented at RPI, he has changed his act, yet each time he has returned, he has been even more hilarious than the time before. Thank you to the admin office and the Union Speakers Forum for putting together this wonderful event. If you are interested in becoming involved in the Union Speakers Forum, which is a group that helps bring famous speakers to campus, you should contact the president, Russell Brown ’14, at brownr13@rpi.edu.

If you have any questions or would like to see your organization featured in my weekly article, please feel free to reach out to me. Enjoy the rest of the week!