The Legend of Korra bends viewer’s opinion

Third season, huge step forward for the franchise now with an unsure future

Personally, I’m a bit mixed about this latest season of The Legend of Korra. I’ll preface this by saying how much I disliked the previous season, but that’s not the issue. The problem is how Nickelodeon handled the season, announcing it three weeks prior to release, rushing the episodes by putting out multiple at a time, then pulling them off television and publishing them online. The future is grim for Korra, which is disappointing after witnessing its strongest season yet.

My main gripe with the show has always been my dislike for the main characters, specifically Korra and Mako. Korra is like sandpaper; she’s always so rough, and every time her headstrong attitude gets her in trouble, I audibly moan. On the other hand, Mako is as bland as a piece of wood; he has no personality or motivation in anything he does. But, the worst part of these two characters is watching them interact in forced relationship scenarios, it’s as riveting as sanding a chunk of log. I think the best thing done this season was ignoring the relationship almost completely and basically deliver everything I was expecting from The Legend of Korra from the beginning.

Beginning the season, we learn that airbending has returned because of spirit world mumbo jumbo yadda yadda yadda. The beginning premise to the return of airbenders is a bit weak, but ignoring that, we find a bunch of new airbenders have emerged across the globe, including some who will not use it for good. Enter the best villain in Korra yet, Zaheer, a new airbender who, with his crew of crazy terrorist benders, intends to kidnap Korra for their own needs.

At the same time as being tracked down by Zaheer, Korra is trying to recruit the new airbenders in order to rebuild the Air Nation with Tenzin, taking them to some wild places, like Ba Sing Se from Avatar: The Last Airbender. However, the most impressive setting has to be Zaofu, an autonomous state within the Earth Kingdom that is created completely by metal benders for metal bending. As well, the matriarch of the city happens to be Suyin Beifong, Lin Beifong’s half-sister.

I would be foolish to ignore the second season in this review just because of how little I thought of it. I disliked how in the previous season they spent almost a third of it trying to convince the audience that the obvious bad guy was not in fact the enemy, only to suddenly reveal his true nature, which unsurprisingly, is evil. But worse, he was a terrible and boring villain, especially compared to Amon in the first season. Finally, the incredible focus on Mako and Korra’s relationship confirmed my greatest fear, Korra was not getting better. I stuck through for a disappointing finale, and then swore off The Legend of Korra for what I thought would be for good. The only reason I gave this season a chance was based on a friend’s recommendation, and I am happy I listened to him. This season redeemed the past one in every way I could imagine.

A lot happens in this season that I’d rather not spoil, but the ending of this season is the strongest by far of any of the previous, and Zaheer and his friends are exceptional enemies for Korra and her posse. I was hesitant to watch this season because of the previous; however, I can only hope Korra comes back for a fourth season and one ups this one.