Derby

PU discusses Union review, Executive Board applications

Hello RPI! Writing my last Derby article is one of my last official duties as President of the Union. This past year has been so fantastic and I am honored to have had the opportunity to serve the student body and the Rensselaer Union. I feel like I have learned so much more about the campus and the Union and I know that this experience has allowed me to grow as a leader and a person. Thank you for a great year.

I have two major things I would like to talk about in this Derby. The first thing being that the Union is currently undergoing a review process, so that we can get an idea of how we compare to other student unions. The way the process works is that we seek feedback through surveying of a randomly selected group of students and then use the results to evaluate our performance and seek to improve our services. If you have received an e-mail from myself and Director of the Union Joe Cassidy asking you to participate in the survey, I urge you to participate. Any input from students will be greatly appreciated and will give us a better idea of what we can do to better serve students.

The second thing I would like to discuss is the upcoming opportunity for students to apply to the Union Executive Board. This week I will be putting out applications for next year’s Executive Board and I encourage anyone interested to apply. The next PU will be in charge of appointing the Board, but it is my job as the outgoing PU to start promoting the Board now. For those that would like a refresher on what the E-Board does throughout the year, the following is a summary. The E-Board’s main focus is to assist with the financial and operational functions of clubs, organizations, and the Union. Through the income of Union facilities such as Father’s, the Bookstore, along with the student activity fees and other sources of revenue, the Union accumulates a budget of nearly $8.9 million.

Each member of the Executive Board has two primary duties. The first responsibility of a member lies in acting collectively with the other members to allocate the Union resources effectively in order to satisfy Rensselaer’s vast interests. These resources not only include the money from the budget, but also include the physical facilities of the Union as well. The second responsibility of a member is to the clubs that they themselves represent. Each Board member is assigned about 10 Union funded clubs, and it is up to that member to be the clubs’ line of communication between each club and the Union. This communication is not only for budget reasons, but also for general club functionality as well.

Lastly, I would like to remind all students that tomorrow will be elections. Students can vote in the Union and Commons’ lobbies from 9 am to 7 pm. Students can also vote in the Darrin Communication Center Great Hall from 9 am to 5 pm. When you go to vote tomorrow you will be given a GM Week mug. I hope everyone enjoys the rest of GM Week! If you have any questions please send me an e-mail at pu@rpi.edu or next week, at my personal e-mail, gallan@rpi.edu.