Celebration weekend performers

I hope everyone had the opportunity to take part in some of the events this past weekend; the presentations, sessions, breakfast, concerts, and everything in between were certainly incredible. Part of what made it memorable was the people; the fellow students, alumni, and friends I caught up with during the days really completed the experience.

The Student Senate finished its regularly scheduled meeting calendar for the semester; we’ve certainly had a busy one, and it will continue. We will be working throughout the break on projects and ideas to bring to you in January.

This time of year is really a perfect time to reflect and also acknowledge those that make it a great life at RPI. It’s hard to pick out names because it really is everyone; my experience here has been amazing. The Student Senate is really my power base, which I find ironic as the old story goes is that you don’t make friends in politics, but I disagree.

It has been a successful semester; I admit I’ve stepped on a few toes, but my role isn’t meant to walk on egg shells; it’s to go out there and get something done because we’d still be talking about parking meters if we didn’t confront a little bit. Again, I’ve done some things differently, and I always look to you—students, readers, etc.—to tell me what you think. E-mail me at gm@rpi.edu or stop by the GM/PU office in the Student Government Suite on the third floor of the Rensselaer Union.

Speaking of acknowledgement, the next time you use RPI Scheduler, realize that it is a tool maintained and updated voluntarily by one amazing alumnus, Keith Lea ’05. It’s a contribution that I’m sure has lessened a lot of frustration. He does it because he wants to, and that’s a theme that really speaks of our alumni; there’s never a time they’re not willing to lend us a hand.

I also want to give students a great study tip for the upcoming exams; shake up the scenery. One of the best places to be is at the Heffner Alumni House during study days. Next Monday and Tuesday, December 14–15, the Alumni House will be open from 7 am to 3 am for you to study in any of its spaces. Organized by Red & White, it’s a great study venue, and there’s usually some snacks to help you cram for your next test.

As the semester ends, I wish everyone a successful last few weeks, and not just academically. Our athletic teams, performing groups, and other student groups are still ongoing with their programs. One special note: Men’s hockey is tonight against Union College at 7 pm. Cheer on your Engineers one more time before the break!

Stay healthy, be safe, and have fun this break. Don’t worry; the snowflakes will be waiting for you when you come back.

This entry was posted in Editorial/Opinion. Bookmark the permalink.